Mental Health and Wellbeing:
Developing a Positive Mindset to Promote Academic Success
A popular INSET day choice, designed for all teachers responsible for supporting student’s academic success and positive wellbeing. It is a practically based INSET, which will provide teachers with techniques and approaches that they can use immediately with students to deal with stress, maintaining positive mental wellbeing, particularly in the run-up to exams.
Sessions could break down as follows:
Session 1: Examining the research
- Explore and discuss the research regarding the link between student wellbeing and achievement
- Discuss – how do we currently support out students’ wellbeing during exam time?
- Explore examples of whole school approaches
Session 2: Practical approaches to supporting students with managing stress
- Practically explore effective tools that can be used immediately to support students with stress during high pressure times in particular during exam preparation
Session 3: Planning session = examiner practical and creative ways of integrating this technique into lessons and across the curriculum
Session 4: How to develop a growth mindset in students so they become capable and resilient when faced with challenges
- How to conduce 1:1 conversations
- Explore scaling and solution focused approaches
- Effective questioning and identifying ways forward for a coachee
- Practice Progressive Muscular Relaxation as a way to aid relaxation and support wellbeing