ABOUT THIS CONFERENCE
Revised in light of the 2019 GCSE exams, the focus of this conference is to support students in securing their Grades 4 and 5 in their GCSE Mathematics examination. It will provide students with a motivational informative and valuable revision day. The day is specially designed by current senior examiners, who will give expert advice, guidance, examples, focusing on the key points to maximise students’ exam achievements. Students will develop the skills required for problem solving approaches, enabling them to access problems, have the skills to meet the challenges of answering Grade 4 and 5 questions and be able to present their solutions to examiners clearly.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Boost your students’ performance in key areas
- Hear from conference speakers who will inspire your students
- Interactive, fast-paced day
- Gain first hand guidance and advice from examiners and teachers, unpicking and addressing how to ensure students achieve at least their target grades
- Take home a full set of revision notes written by senior examiners
- Be inspired by an impressive, motivational and valuable session
|CONFERENCE DATE||In-school only|
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Conference|
10.00 – 10.20am: Introduction and Welcome
10.20 – 11.00am: Ways to ensure Grades 4 and 5
- Explore high quality revision tactics with our examiners and look at what worked in last year’s exam answers
- Obtain expert guidance on how to be awarded maximum marks for Working and answers.
- How to break down questions to ensure that marks are picked up throughout the papers
- Gain knowledge of how to develop answers to pick up crucial marks
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: using examples of student answers, this is a hands-on practical marking activity with the students becoming the examiner
11.00 – 11.20am: Morning Break
11.20 – 12.20pm: Methods and Applications for AO1 Fluency – how to maximise the final grade
- Discover what the examiners are looking for at and what not to do
- Work on the vital techniques for hitting the 50% content in each assessment
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: Questions focusing on achieving Grades 4 and 5 – with example responses and challenging student activities.
- Decide which answer is Bad, Better and which is the Best and see how to improve responses
- Quick fire strategies to overcome common misconceptions
12.20 – 12.50pm: Lunch
12.50 – 1.50pm: Q&A followed by Methods and Applications for AO2 Student Reasoning, Understanding and Inference
- Excellent examiner guidance on developing reasoning and an algebraic approach to coherent solutions – “Someone has to read your working!”
- Mop up functionality marks and improving student inference skills
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: Work book challenge – strategies to tackle more complex problems using example responses
1.50 – 2.50pm: Methods and Applications for AO3 Problem Solving
- Remembering key information and tackling problem solving questions
- Starting questions and finding a way in to problem solving questions
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: Examples of the common misconceptions and errors that students make – and how to avoid these!
- Getting the best marks in AO2 and AO3 questions: top examiner tips for students aiming at Grades 4 and 5
2.50 – 3.00pm: Final Top Tips with the subject experts
- Final Top tips, including being aware of the breakdown of grades and questions within each exam
- “Getting ready to achieve your Best Grade” – what students now need to do after today!