ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Provide your students with key advice for their exam preparation through this focused one-hour webinar on AQA A-level Politics.
This interactive webinar will provide your students with:
A specific focus on how to tackle the 25 mark questions:
- The assessment objectives
- The 5 levels
- Using the extract
- Constructing an argument
- Comparative essays
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Access exam technique tips to support you in preparing to achieve the very best results
- Gain in-depth understanding of the two essay questions that dominate Papers 1 and 2
- Obtain top level strategies for producing excellent answers to Section B and C-style questions
- Focus on top mark band requirements
- Avoid common faults and mistakes
- A set of revision resources that will be sent in advance of the course that you will be able to use immediately to support your independent studies
Introduction, welcome and sound check
How should you approach the extract?
- Key issues to consider when reading and analysing the extract and question
Building an answer around the extract to achieve Level 5
- What examiners saw in 2019 – good and weak approaches
- Ensuring that you have covered all aspects of the question
- Understanding the mark scheme so that you can hit the top bands for each aspect
- Analysing answers at A*, A and B – what differentiated them in
What are the key qualities of a Level 5 essay?
- Using your skills differently for the essay questions from the extract questions
- What pushes an answer into Level 5: the examiner’s perspective
- Using knowledge and understanding properly
Comparative essay planning activity
- Using real questions and answers, compare approaches to confirm how to reach those top marks
Nick Axon is a highly experienced Principal Examiner in A Level Politics for a major awarding body, and has contributed to Politics Review. He was Head of Politics, then Head of History & Politics, at Cheadle Hulme School between 2009 and 2016, when he was appointed Head of Sixth Form. He has developed resources for AQA since the development of the new specification.