Dates: New date coming soon
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Student inability to apply knowledge and theory to context is a common failing highlighted in examiners report and evident in work we receive from students. This webinar is for teachers looking for strategies and ideas to better support students in this area. Part of our Becoming an Expert Classroom Practitioner stream of courses, Louisa will lead a practical session on how to raise the performance of your students in this area, using the exam questions and criteria to show how to succeed. The methods are applicable to both Year 12 & 13 and will focus on A02 type questions with a brief review of improving student understanding of how to tackle questions on Research Method. Exemplar materials will be used predominantly from AQA but this course is relevant to teaching this skills to all exam boards.
This will include a PowerPoint to lead the session for teachers, but will also include a PowerPoint and handouts for teachers to use with pupils.
- Equip you with strategies for students to gain the full A02 marks available when answering questions.
- Strategies and ideas to ensure students can structure and answer 16 mark questions, gaining top marks.
- Knowledge of advanced exam technique to ensure students maximise their potential
- Insights into how to incorporate Research methods into teaching to improve student outcomes
4.00- 4.20pm What success looks like in exam responses, focus on A02 style questions
- How to highlight standards and key features of a successful A02 response for your students.
- Examples of “tricky” questions that have come up before,
- comparing student responses and how to use these responses in your own classroom to highlight the difference in quality that students need to understand.
4.20 – 4.40pm Supporting planning in essay writing
- Strategies to support student writing effective, concise and to the point essay responses.
- Explore templates that can help students with structure and also building in flexibility for students to use in the exam.
- Looking at model answers to help draw out key features. This is fine
4.40 – 4.50pm Writing well in assessments;
- examining previous questions and shortcuts that work (and don’t work).
- Style guides, correct use of technical vocabulary and other tips for students to ensure they get top marks in the exams
4.50 -5.00pm Challenging research methods questions,
- How to interleave Research Methods throughout the course and get students used to the idea that it can appear anywhere on the papers.
- Building research methods into all course material to help with teacher planning
As an experienced teacher, tutor and examiner in psychology Louisa has taught in both the state and independent sector, developing a range of skills to engage a range of learners. Attending this course will provide you with the confidence to enter the classroom and teach lessons with a range of resources to engage a range of abilities. Louisa consistently obtains A*-C pass rates well above the national average. She has also examined for both AQA and Edexcel, recently marking paper 2 and 3 for Edexcel as well as the GCSE paper.