Wednesday 03 February 2021 – 4pm
Tuesday 20 April 2021 – 4pm
Monday 12 July 2021 – 4pm
CODE: Coming Soon
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
This course is designed to help students of CIE IGCSE History reach their full potential and show what is required to attain the top grades.
The course will focus on what is required to gain top levels in examination questions and how you can effectively do this in the exam. There will be guidance on how to analyse sources and interpretations effectively and how to use that technique, combined with their knowledge, to reach the very top grades. The course will also look at ways to write effective essays in the time allowed.
BENEFITS OF THIS WEBINAR
- Increased understanding of classroom strategies to help boost exam performance and achieve grades 7-9 or A*A.
- Practical ideas on how to structure answers, particularly tricky ones
- Materials and ideas to improve revision
4.00 – 4.05pm Welcome and Introduction
4.05pm: Grades 8-9 (A*A): what do they involve?
- Structure of CIE IGCSE History and what this requires of the best students
- Key attributes of Grades 8-9 students in the classroom
- Grades 8-9: what are the differences between these?
- Analysis of the mark schemes – what were the examiners looking for
Key issues in Paper 1 for Grade 9 students (A*A)
- Approaches to paper 1 where to get the top marks in the paper with the highest weighting
- Covering the content to ensure high level thinking
- Detailed analysis of the exam questions
Key issues in Paper 2 for ensuring high level students succeed
- Detailed analysis of the Edexcel questions – what are they looking for from the very best answers?
- Sources and how to ‘go deep’ on them.
- Dealing with terminology and the CIE phrasing of the questions
Key issues in Paper 3 for those aspiring to Grade 9 (A*A)
- Writing the extended question answer what does it take to get full marks!
- Detailed analysis of the questions and what the Edexcel examiners were looking for
- Analysis of content for levels in the mark scheme
- Dealing with the depth of content in your teaching
How to revise when aiming for the top grades!
Course ends at 6.00pm
Christopher Terry is the Academic Director at Keynote Educational, an ex-head teacher and experienced teacher of History. He has been an examiner for History with all the major English exam boards: AQA, Pearson, OCR and the International Baccalaureate. He has also been employed as a teacher trainer with a major Exam board delivering teacher training in History Internationally and in the UK. He also has been a specialist advisor to OFQUAL for History and has been recognised by the Historical Association as an outstanding practitioner. He has made valuable contributions to both educational conferences and has written many educational articles.