Monday 12 October 2020 – 4pm
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
This webinar is to support you in helping your students understand the broad subject of Sociology and can be a useful complement to your own more in depth introduction to the subject. Led by an expert Sociology teacher and examiner it pulls together the core ideas, and ensures all your Sociology students have the same quality of introduction to the subject. Starting with what we mean by society and how we might study it, students will then look at what the impact of society is for individuals. Are we shaped by our society or do we have a role in shaping it?
BENEFITS OF THIS WEBINAR
- Students will learn what society is and how it can be studied.
- Students will look at key ideas in sociology and how individuals learn to be members of a society
- Student will consider different views of the link between an individual and their society
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
All students of A Level Sociology
4.00 – 4.05 pm Welcome and Introduction
4.05-4.15pm: What is society and how might we study it.
- What does society look like?
- What do we study when learning about society?
- How do sociologists study society?
4.15-4.35pm: Key ideas in sociology
- Understanding key terms: culture, norms and values
- How can we understand our own culture, norms and values?
- How do we learn to be a member of society?
4.35-4.55pm: Different views on how society work
- Does society make us or do we make society?
- Does everyone in society have the same ideas?
- What differences exist and what effects do these have on society and the individual?
- Overview of content
Annie has 20 years teaching experience and is currently Head of Sociology in a large, inner city sixth form college with 300 students in the department. She has a wealth of examining experience being a former Principal Examiner for a major examinations board and member of the specification development team for Sociology. Annie is also co-author of a leading textbook and has written a range of workbooks and online resources for sociology. She is an experienced trainer and has delivered a range of CPD for both new and experienced teachers.