ABOUT THIS COURSE
Build up your repertoire of strategies to teach exam skills and knowledge for Paper 2: Film Study for the AQA A Level French exam (also useful for AQA AS Level French).
This webinar includes a set of notes and resources which will be sent in advance to enable you to identify possible questions about the teaching of Film as well as share with colleagues to help improve pupils’ exam preparation and revision.
This interactive webinar will focus on the most challenging areas of teaching a film for Paper 2 including:
- Writing clearly structured and grammatically accurate essays about a film (Specific examples will be given about “Au Revoir les enfants” by Louis Malle)
- Strategies to meet Examiners’ expectations and gain the highest AO3 (language) and AO4 (knowledge and cultural understanding) marks for the film essay
- Developing the range of lexis and structures used in essays on films.
- Teaching knowledge and understanding of culture through film study
- Guiding pupils on responding critically and analytically to the questions on films.
Can be bought with AQA Spanish A Level paper 2: Teaching Literature webinar for £200.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Identifying exam techniques to support your pupils to achieve the very best result
- Gain deep understanding of the marking scheme and how to achieve the highest scores in Paper 2
- Develop a range of strategies to enable your pupils to produce high quality answers
- Deepen your understanding of what makes top mark band essays in terms of content and language
- Best practice guidance from an experienced A Level teacher and native French speaker
- A set of notes and resources that you will be able to use immediately to support the teaching of your chosen film in the classroom
|DATE & LOCATION||Online | Friday 19 March 2021 (4.00 – 5.00pm)
Online | Friday 25 June 2021 (3.30 – 4.30pm)
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
Introduction, welcome and sound check
Teaching to plan effective answers to film essay questions
- Criteria to choose the most appropriate question
- Selecting suitable examples from the film studied
- Maximising time spent on detailed plan
Tips and hints for maximising marks for content
- Understanding the content requirements for the film essay questions
- Maximising marks for analytical and critical thinking
- Presenting content in a clear and structured way
Activity: Au revoir Les enfants (1)
- Analysing student responses: Au revoir Les Enfants Film essay questions
- Identifying essay features leading to high marks for content
- Teaching language features to enhance your pupils’ essay
Activity: Au revoir Les enfants (2)
- Common features of the film essay questions
- Tips for success: Demonstrating critical and analytical thought
- Teaching pupils to proofread their work for a wide range of structures and grammatical accuracy
Activity: Planning and Feedback
- Guiding outline planning and providing feedback for film essays (specific examples will be provided for Au Revoir Les Enfants).
Isabelle Jones is a highly experienced teacher and leader in Foreign Languages, she has worked in a range of schools, facing the full breadth of challenges facing the teachers today. Isabelle has delivered Professional Development in a range of settings including for the ALL, schools and universities. She has been involved in reviewing and authoring a number of textbooks, magazines and online materials such as the OUP French GCSE textbook, BBC bitesize and MGP. Isabelle has also been a contributor to the TES and the Guardian and currently blogs at isabellejones.blogspot.com