Tuesday 25 May 2021 – 4pm
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Students often find education policies one of the harder topics on Paper 1, and struggle to gain good marks when faced with exam questions in this area. This webinar is for teachers who wish to improve their own teaching of this topic and their student’s confidence in tackling exam questions. Part of our Becoming an Expert Classroom Practitioner stream of courses, David will lead an interactive webinar that on how to improve your own teaching and student performance using exam questions and practical classroom activities.
You will be provided with a PowerPoint of the session, exemplar answers, and some templates for activities to do with your students.
- You will be given examples of practical examples of activities to do with students which will improve their knowledge of research methods and aid them in answering exam questions.
- You will be given strategies to ensure your students can write essays which cover the three assessment objectives to get into the top mark bands.
- You will gain knowledge of good exam technique in the shorter exam questions (4, 6 & 10 mark questions) in order to maximise overall marks.
4.00 – 4.05 pm Welcome and Introduction
4:05pm: Practical classroom activities relating to Education policy
- Reviewing challenging past exam questions on this topic, and dissecting them
- Exploring activities to use to help students tackle these questions,
- Curriculum spacing for recall and revision?
4:30pm: Tackling short exam questions
- Teaching students strategies to maximise marks – Scaffolding for students, and frameworks to support eg PELE
- Understanding the difficult 10 mark questions which require combining knowledge from more than one topic area
- Feedback and student self evaluation
4:50pm: Teaching students to write successful Educational policy essays
- A look at past questions and how to answer them
- Reviewing exemplar answers to see how to meet the Assessment Objectives
- Tips on how to get students to unpick questions correctly
- Guidance on planning and teaching time management
5:20pm: Final tips and questions
This course is led by an experienced teacher of 12 years and an examiner of 9 years with 4 years’ experience as a Senior Examiner. He teaches at a 6th Form College recently graded as ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted, with Sociology one of the four subjects focused on during the inspection.