Date: Tuesday 24 November 2020 – 4pm
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
This webinar will provide essential tips on what the examiners are looking for and pitfalls to avoid on cognition and behaviour, from an experienced senior examiner’s point of view. Students will gain insight on how to use their knowledge and understanding of key points on topics such as memory and perception to address the different types of exam questions. The sessions will give you the opportunity to take away concrete proven strategies, so students will leave with the ideas, skills and conﬁdence to prepare for the Paper 1 examination.
BENEFITS OF THIS WEBINAR
- Access exam technique tips to support you in preparing to achieve the very best results
- Gain in-depth understanding of the most challenging areas such as research methods and development theories
- Obtain top level strategies for producing excellent answers to the extended questions
- Focus on top mark band requirements in memory and perception
- Avoid common faults and mistakes from Paper 1 sat in May 2019
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
All students of AQA GCSE Psychology
4.00pm – Topic 1: Memory – the key features
- Understanding the different types and features of memory
- Activity: Marking exercise with feedback on exam question from social influence
- Addressing exam questions on memory such as“Evaluate the theory of reconstructive memory”“Outline the difference between episodic and semantic memory”
4.15 pm – Topic 2: Understanding the main theories of perception
- Highlighting the differences between Gregory and Gibson
- Addressing exam questions on perception such as“What is meant by ‘perception’?”“Explain how visual illusions can support theories of perception”
- What the examiner is expecting to see
4.30pm – Topic 3: How we develop according to Piaget, Dweck and Willingham
- Describe and evaluate the three main theories of development
- Hone skills to get high marks in questions on development such as“Describe Piagets four stages of development”“Give one weakness of Dweck’s mindset theory of learning”
- Sample questions and question types
4.45pm – Topic 4: Getting research methods right!
- Addressing the research methods scenarios and checklist for planning a study
- Addressing exam questions on development such as“Give one strength of random sampling”“Outline the characteristics of the normal distribution”
- Exam tips and techniques for achieving Grades 7-9.
5.00pm – Final tips
Ali is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors (FCIEA) and is a published author at A level and GCSE Psychology. He has taught for nearly 20 years and was a Principal Examiner with 13 years’ experience in writing Psychology exam papers and awarding grades for a major exam board and was part of the team that wrote the current A level specification.
Ali has been a regular speaker at Educational Conferences since 2003 and has been providing INSET to schools and colleges nationally and internationally. Ali was a key speaker at the Visible Learning World Conference, Edinburgh 2019 and the Aspire Psychology Conference, Dubai 2019.