ABOUT THIS COURSE
The aim of this course is to provide all teachers of AQA GCSE RS clear and concise feedback on the 2019 exams to improve their understanding of the exam requirements and improve their teaching and learning to students ready for 2020. There will be the opportunity to look back at what students did well in the 2019 exams, how the questions were best answered and get insight into how best to improve and prepare current students for their future exams.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Have a secure knowledge of student performance in the 2019 exams
- Be able to recognise areas of strength in students’ exam performance
- Recognise areas where students need to develop exam strategies to increase attainment
- Take away strategies to put into practice to improve student achievement at GCSE
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 11.15am
Information on the 2019 exams – and what we can do with it
- What did the students do well?
- What were the main weaknesses?
- Statistics and grade boundaries
- What can be done to aid improvement?
- What do the best answers look like
11.15 – 11.30am
Discussion: coffee break
11.30 – 12.45pm
A01 skills and assessment: getting over the crucial knowledge
- Skills essential to success
- Retaining student interest and lesson pace
- What do the questions really want students to do?
- How to interpret and teach command words
- Gaps in knowledge: techniques and approaches to fill these in
12.45 – 1.45pm
Lunch and Refreshments
1.45 – 2.45pm
Teaching A02 analysis and evaluation skills and assessment well
- Skills essential to success – teaching tips for high level analysis and evaluation
- Length and depth of answers
- Level descriptors – what do they mean and what do students have to do?
- Applying and explaining relevant religious teachings
2.45 – 3.00pm
Discussion: afternoon tea
3.00 – 3.45pm
Next steps for 2020 success
- Preparing for successful delivery of GCSE RS
- Methods for making sure all students progress
- Strategies to use to improve student success – for 4-5 and 7-9 students
- Key terminology / subject specific words
- Top tips for 12 mark essays
- SPaG: why it really matters in RS and improving students’ use of technical terms
- Command words
- Resources available
Rachel has been teaching Religious Studies across all key stages for 20 years and a Head of Department for 14 years in a very successful school in Cheshire. She has many years’ experience in examination marking for two exam boards and is currently an assistant principal examiner and team leader for GCSE and A Level and is an experienced national presenter.