ABOUT THIS COURSE
This NEW course will demonstrate how to guide your best students to achieve Grades 8 & 9 in future AQA GCSE Geography examinations. Led by our highly respected and successful presenter Dr Keith Bartlett , the course will demonstrate teaching and learning ideas which will stretch and challenge able students and develop their higher level skills. Using feedback from 2018’s first year of examinations on the new specifications, the course will explore what is expected of high ability students and outline ways to build your teaching practice around this.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Focused on identifying the demands of Grades 8 & 9 and providing materials to help teachers prepare students effectively
- Mark schemes will be analysed to identify and clarify the requirements of the highest levels.
- Sample answers at Grades 8-9 will be discussed and marked
- Materials will be provided that will allow teachers to cover the content effectively in innovative and student-friendly ways that push the highest ability students
|COURSE DATES||London | Tuesday 19 November 2019|
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 10.45am
Grades 8-9: what do they involve?
- Structure of AQA GCSE Geography exams and what this requires of the best students
- Feedback and grading analysis from the 2018 papers and what this tells us about the standards which top students are expected to meet
- Analysis of the mark schemes – what were the examiners looking for?
- Key attributes of Grade 8-9 students in the classroom
10.45 – 11.05am
Discussion: coffee break
11.05 – 12.00am
Teaching Paper 1: key challenges for Grade 8-9 students
- Analysing the exam papers: where is an 8/9 achieved or lost?
- Approaches to teaching, learning and testing subject content
- The importance of the assessment objectives and command words
- Revision strategies to ensure top level students succeed in the exams
12.00 – 1.00pm
Paper 2 – Stretching and Challenging Grades 8 and 9 Students
- Strategies for candidates to improve understanding of the examination topics – how to incorporate high level thinking throughout the course
- Urban issues and challenges, appropriate case studies and content required.
- The changing economic world, tackling the difficult concepts.
- The challenge of resource management, teaching the optional unit.
1.00 – 2.00pm
Lunch and informal discussion
2.00 – 3.00pm
Paper 3: key challenges for Grades 8 and 9 students
- Issue Evaluation strand; using the resource effectively.
- Skills requirements.
- Develop understanding of mark schemes in relation to addressing AO3: Application.
3.00 – 3.45pm
Paper 3: providing appropriate fieldwork experiences
- Developing fieldwork as a 5-year plan
- Opportunities for delivering fieldwork skills through classroom enquiry
- Planning appropriate human and physical fieldwork enquiries.
- Preparing candidates for the challenging fieldwork questions.
Plenary and Depart
Dr Keith Bartlett
Keith is a highly experienced and nationally renowned trainer, former Senior Teacher and Head of Department for Geography. He is a specification writer and fieldwork specialist. Keith was Principal Moderator for legacy GCSE Geography and is a senior examiner for the current GCSE course. He is also an author of numerous Geography textbooks.