Wednesday 21 October 2020 – 4pm
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Strategies to enable teachers to reinforce the knowledge and understanding of theories throughout the A level Sociology programme. Strategies to support students build confidence in their knowledge of theoretical perspectives and how to use them evaluatively. Advice on guidance on theory and methods questions on Paper 1 and paper 3 from an examiners perspective.
- Outline of the main perspectives in sociology – understanding what students need to know
- Strategies for delivering perspectives within substantive topics to build confidence in the use of perspectives
- Advice and guidance on preparing students for theory and methods questions.
4.00 – 4.05 pm Welcome and Introduction
4.05-4.25pm: Outline of the key perspectives in Sociology – priorities and emphaisis
- Clear summaries of the main features of each perspective
- Key terms that should be introduced when discussing each perspective
- How each perspective can be applied to substantive topics
4.25-4.50pm: Delivering perspectives through substantive topics
- Start with the basics – Theories as ways of seeing the world. Theories in everyday life. What are the key theoretical debates? How do different sociologists view the world differently
- Application to enable understanding
- Focusing on the perspective – Strategies to enable students to use existing knowledge of substantive topics to understand the key theoretical perspectives and debates
- Scaffolding learning to develop deeper understanding – Strategies to encourage students to use their knowledge of perspectives to analyse social issues and debates – taking theoretical debate to wider society.
4.50-5.15pm: How to prepare students for theory & methods questions
- How to include material from substantive topics – what will get marks in a Theory & methods question.
- Using scaffolded learning to develop theoretical skills – building skills of theoretical analysis using material from substantive topics. Explaining more fully for higher marks.
- Key themes and questions in exams – what will the exam questions look like and how to get the top marks
- Developing evaluation in perspectives questions – Strategies to encourage theoretical evaluation in Theory & methods essays
- Overview of content
- Questions and interactive discussion
Annie has 20 years teaching experience and is currently Head of Sociology in a large, inner city sixth form college with 300 students in the department. She has a wealth of examining experience being a former Principal Examiner for a major examinations board and member of the specification development team for Sociology. Annie is also co-author of a leading textbook and has written a range of workbooks and online resources for sociology. She is an experienced trainer and has delivered a range of CPD for both new and experienced teachers.