ABOUT THIS COURSE
The aim of this new course is to equip new and experienced teachers with practical and enjoyable ideas for teaching Key Stage 3 and GCSE languages. We will be focusing on instilling good language learning practices at KS3 and ways to encourage a high uptake at GCSE. We will be looking at the key challenges and demands of language learning and how to make the transition to GCSE more manageable and rewarding to both students and teachers.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING THE COURSE
- Improve the way you instil good language learning at KS3
- Learn practical and manageable ways for a successful transition from KS3 to GCSE
- Find out new ways of motivating students and increasing the uptake of languages at GCSE
- Share and learn successful ideas on the use of innovative technology in lessons
|COURSE DATE||London | Thursday 25 June 2020
* Please note, this course will be held online on the designated date if it’s not possible to run in venues.
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 10.15am
What are the key demands and challenges facing today’s teachers of modern languages?
- Quiz: are we keeping up to date with curriculum changes and current trends?
- Ideas for improving the use of technology in Spanish lessons
- New strategies for challenging the perception that “languages are difficult”
10.15 – 11.15am
Instilling an excellent foundation at KS3
- Establishing engaging routines for vocabulary learning and grammar practice
- Examples of dynamic and teaching and learning activities in listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Fun and creative ways of rewarding effort and achievement
11.15 – 11.30pm
Discussion and coffee break
11.30 – 12.30pm
How to make a successful transition from Key Stage 3 to GCSE
- Ideas for your first lessons with a new group: building positive relationships and establishing a great learning environment – Speaking and Writing activities
- Sample GCSE activities building on KS3 foundations – a look at “literary texts” in Reading and Listening
- Find out what motivates them and include relevant and cultural knowledge of the target language countries and regions in activities and assessments
12.30 – 1.30pm
Lunch and informal discussion
1.30 – 2.20pm
Using film in KS3 and GCSE Spanish lessons: sample lesson plans & activities
- Year 7 / 8: Zipi y Zapi
- Year 9: Valentín
- Year 10: Alba
- Year 11: Cobardes
2.20 – 2.30pm
Discussion: afternoon tea
2.30 – 3.00pm
Preparing students for assessment at KS3 and GCSE
- Developing examination technique
- Catering for mixed ability classes: ensuring all students achieve their full potential
- Stretching and challenging the able and talented students
3.00 – 3.30pm
Maintaining motivation: encouraging students to opt for GCSE
- New ideas for extra-curricular opportunities in school
- Promoting school, regional and national challenges and competitions – and winning them!
- Suitable Netflix recommendations and other sources of entertainment!
3.30 – 3.45pm
Final questions, plenary and departure
Georgina has over twenty years of exceptional classroom experience, with enviable results in external examinations (100% grades 9-7 at GCSE). She is an experienced senior examiner for three major boards, covering all aspects of the A-level syllabus. She has led successful Spanish and MFL departments and mentored and trained new Spanish teachers.