ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course is aimed at teachers, middle and senior leaders and support staff working in schools, academies or colleges who either have responsibility for staff well fare or would gain personally from developing more effective strategies to ensure staff well-being and a better work-life balance.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
Participants will explore strategies for effective staff well-being and a better work-life balance through direct experience of:
- Learning how to identify triggers and manage difficult and stressful situations
- Increasing your understanding of why we can all feel stressed and over faced by pressure and workload
- Developing techniques to manage the triggers that impact negatively on wellbeing and work-life balance
- Improving time management and organisational skills
- Demonstrating progress in supporting colleagues and learners in managing difficult situations
- Increasing your understanding of why other can be difficult or present challenging behaviour and what we can do to work through this
- Highly effective techniques to take away and use in the workplace that will enable participants to better face stressful and challenging situations, manage time effectively and support others in coping with well-being and work-life balance issues
|COURSE DATE||In-school only|
|WHO FOR?||Any teacher, middle leader, senior leader or member of support staff who would like advice, guidance and strategies to better manage personal well-being and work-life balance; or who as responsibility for supporting colleagues in these areas.|
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 11.15am: Auditing the issues
- Evaluating your current experience. Reflecting on the highs and lows of your current working life. How are you utilising your strengths right now? Analysing your goals.
- Understanding your commitment to your school
- How strong is the quality of your relationship with others in school?
- How does the world outside school impact on your school well-being?
11.15 – 11.30am: Discussion: coffee break
11.30 – 12.45pm: Developing better communication skills
This session will explore our communication skills – both written and verbal – and the impact that communication can have on working with difficult colleagues in challenging situations through:
- Understanding the messages we give out
- Developing an awareness of how our expectations colour our engagement with others
- Practicing techniques to remain assertive and in control
- Applying techniques to minimise difficult situations
12.45 – 1.30pm: Lunch and informal discussion
1.30 – 2.30pm: Better whole school well-being
- This session will look at how to recognise and improve organisation well-being and how to help change the culture and ethos within the school
- What are the barriers to better staff well-being and effective work-life balance in your school?
- Effective strategies for time management – How to make things happen.
- Avoiding procrastination and learning how to prioritise effectively
- Changing habits and making a workable action plan
- Learning how to say ‘no’
2.30 – 2.45pm: Discussion: afternoon tea
2.45 – 3.45pm: Work-life balance – Whatever that means!
- Examining work/life balance and understanding what it means to have work/life balance
- Why does staff morale matter?
- What kind of teacher are you?
- Tried and tested techniques and ideas for managing stress levels
Steve’s career spans over 25 years teaching and senior leadership experience in inner city, urban and rural schools. Now a well-respected trainer, consultant and author who is frequently rated ‘outstanding’ by his clients, Steve makes regular contributions to education magazines and newspapers and his ‘BiteSized Training’ is now a regular CPD feature in SecEd magazine. Steve brings a wealth of whole school, faculty and department leadership and development expertise and relevant professional experience to this course.