ABOUT THIS CONFERENCE
This NEW conference will provide students with a motivational, valuable and information revision day for all taking A Level Pearson/Edexcel A-level History. The conference is especially designed by current senior examiners and will give your students expert advice, guidance and examples on how to improve their performance in the exams.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Gain first hand guidance, practical advice and top tips from a senior examiner on how to succeed in the forthcoming A level Pearson/Edexcel A Level History exam
- Enhanced understanding of key challenges, key points
- Achieving grades A/A* – key points, tips, ensuring your responses access the top grades
- Take away a full set of notes which give revision and examination technique tips, and example answers
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Conference|
10:25 – 10:35am
Welcome and Introduction
Paper 1: Breadth Study with Interpretations – Tackling the Interpretations Questions
- Definition time! ‘Interpretations’ and ‘Convincing’
- Effective structures in timed conditions: writing frames, sentence starters and judgements
- Looking at the validity of historical arguments
- What does B, A and A* work on historical interpretations look like
- ACTIVITY: What does B, A and A* work on historical interpretations look like?
Paper 1: Breadth Essay Questions
- What makes an outstanding essay?
- Ensuring you have made a judgment and supported it throughout.
- Avoiding common pitfalls in your answer
- ACTIVITY: on the Breadth Essay question
- Submit your questions on Edexcel A Level History to our expert panel
Depth Study: Tackling Source Questions for the Depth Study
- What are the skills examiners expect to see on sources to gain high marks?
- How to judge utility in a source
- Distinguishing between information and opinion
- Balancing content and provenance in your answer
- Integrating context with evaluation
- Review responses to questions to see what differentiates top from mid-level responses
- ACTIVITY: Review responses to questions to see what differentiates top from mid-level responses
Ask the expert
- The experts answer the questions submitted by the students, with a prize for the best
Paper 2: Answering Depth Essay Questions
- Structuring your answer – Ensuring you have made a judgment and supported it throughout.
- Dealing with focus of the question
- Balancing factors in your answer
- ACTIVITY: How essay planning, structure and content lead to higher marks: what examiners expect to see at grades B to A*
- How to integrate your wider reading into revision to make exam answers stand out
Paper 3: Themes in Breadth with Aspects in Depth
- Identifying what are you being asked to do in Paper 3 questions
- What is valid criteria – helping make a judgement
- How to structure your answer
- ACTIVITY on Themes in Breadth with Aspects in Depth
The key to writing high quality coursework
- Choosing a suitable title
- Finding appropriate resources
- Applying appropriate criteria to evaluate interpretations
- Model paragraphing
Alana Britton is an experienced examiner and Head of History, with ten years’ experience as Head of Department and over twenty years teaching experience in range of educational contexts. She is a Senior Examiner with a leading examination board in addition to being a moderator and examiner for various boards. She has acted as a Subject Reviewer for the CCEA and Ofqual, and has presented at GCSE student conferences.
One free teacher place for every 10 student places
Additional teachers £35+VAT
Individual teachers £80+VAT