ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course focuses on preparing candidates across the grade range for success in the AQA GCSE Specifications for French, Spanish and German. Our expert presenter will examine key teaching approaches and materials which allow students to make real progress across their GCSE subject and which help them to really understand and succeed with the demands of the AQA assessments.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Gain a clear understanding of the performance level needed at key grades and how to help students achieve this
- Learn more about how the assessments work, what they test and how to teach the necessary skills to a high level
- Take away a set of material and ideas for immediate use in the classroom
- Focus on each of the skills and the pedagogy needed to develop them, to encourage students to achieve to their fullest ability
- Look at the different approaches for foundation and higher tier candidates and obtain ideas for each that really work
|COURSE DATE||London Friday 05 April 2019|
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 11.15am
What do the grades look like in terms of performance?
- Looking at what students need to demonstrate to reach key grade boundaries
- Deciphering the mark schemes and turning that into outstanding teaching
- A focus on key indicators of performance as a means of tracking progress
11.15 – 11.30am
Discussion: coffee break
11.30 – 1.00pm
What about the pedagogy?
- The receptive skills in detail
- Teaching speaking and levering progress through feedback
- Writing skills and how to develop them at all levels – writing accurately and translating well
1.00 – 2.00pm
Lunch and informal discussion
2.00 – 3.00pm
How do we measure and quantify progress over the GCSE course?
- Vocabulary building and automatization of grammatical structures
- Tracking skills development, as well as knowledge acquisition, to ensure real student progress
- Summative and formative approaches to assessment, that lead to outstanding achievement
3.00 – 3.15pm
Discussion: afternoon tea
3.15 – 3.45pm
Tiers without tears
- Making decisions about tiers of entry – and ensuring students can succeed
- Focus on the needs of Foundation tier candidates and the key indicators for tier of entry
- Focus on Higher tier candidates and the reach for Grade 9: what students need to demonstrate to reach the very top levels
3.45 – 4.00pm
Final questions, plenary and departure
Tim is an author, former GCSE examiner and consultant in modern languages, with many years’ experience as a trainer. Tim’s courses focus on practical strategies, ideas and discussion and he is mindful of the workload of teachers, so he teaches delegates to work smarter, not harder!