Monday 19 April 2021
Tuesday 29 June 2021
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
This History Webinar is aimed at giving students back their confidence after a challenging few months, so that they can tackle one of the more challenging areas of the course with renewed enthusiasm and with advice on skills for tackling AO1 essay questions.
BENEFITS OF THIS WEBINAR
- Students will gain strategies for tackling AO1 questions, following expert guidance from Dr Robin Bunce – a teacher, and writer who has insight into exam technique through being an examiner for 16 years.
- Students will learn historical concepts from a teacher with a specialism in A Level History, who can provide guidance on how to avoid the common exam pitfalls.
- Students will review trickier aspect of history using interactive activities during the webinar – including, concepts such as power, economic success, de-Stalinisation and cultural transformation.
- This webinar will help students understand how to apply their knowledge in AO1 exam questions, in order to get higher grades.
4.00 – 4.05pm Welcome and Introduction
4.05pm: Tricky Concepts and Key periods: Politics
- Government, power and control – how to avoid common misconceptions, and how to handle these concepts in exam questions
- Political transformation in Russia 1917-1985 – including an interactive quiz for students to take part in
- Whose who in Soviet Politics – how to understand the significance of the Soviet leaders
4.25 pm: Tackle AO1 Questions – Essential techniques
- Question spotting – interactive activity to help students get to the heart of the question
- How to successfully apply the concepts in AO1 question – scaffolding and modelling
- Structure for success – essential tips to help you make best use of your time in the exam
- Phrases you can use and reuse to avoid common pitfalls – how to apply evaluative and explanatory language to access the higher levels
4:50 pm: Tricky Concepts and Key periods: Economics
- Economic Growth and Economic success – how to spot and address the key economic concepts in AO1 Exam questions
- Economic transformation in Russia 1917-1985 – including an interactive quiz for students to participate in
- The changing Soviet Economy – how to understand the significance of different periods of economic change
5:15: Tackle AO1 Questions – Advanced techniques
- Questions and Criteria – and interactive activity to help students understand how to select criteria appropriate for different questions
- How to structure an answer to support your judgement – scaffolding and modelling
- Substantiate your judgements – essential tips on how to structure conclusions in order to reach supported judgements.
Course ends at 5:30
Dr Robin Bunce
The course is led by an experienced teacher who was Team Leader for A Level history for many years and has 16 year’s experience working as an examiner. He has been teaching master classes to students for 6 years across the country, which are consistently rated as excellent by students and teachers. Dr Robin Bunce edits the popular My Revision Notes series for Hodder, as well as their History+ series. He was one of a number of historians who contributed to the award winning Our Migration Story schools history resource.