ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course will demonstrate how to guide your best students to achieve Grades A & A* OCR A-Level Physical Education examinations. Led by our highly respected and successful presenter Wes Davis , the course will demonstrate teaching and learning ideas for the three theory papers and the Non Examined Assessment. Using feedback from 2018 & 2019, the first two years of examinations on the new specifications, the course will outline what is expected of high ability students and explore ways to build your teaching practice around this.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Focused on identifying the demands of Grades A & A* and providing materials to help teachers prepare students effectively
- A detailed look at the different demands of questions across the three theory papers
- Mark schemes & examiners’ reports will be analysed to identify what marks out the top candidates
- Sample answers at Grades A & A* will be analysed
- Materials will be provided that will allow teachers to cover the course in innovative and student-friendly ways that push the highest ability students
|COURSE DATE||Online | Wednesday 27 January 2021
Online | Wednesday 17 March 2021
London | Thursday 10 June 2021
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 10.30 Evidence-based practice; memorising content in the long term
- Exploring recent cognitive science research findings
- Embedding retrieval practice
- Developing metacognition with A and A* PE students
10:30-11:15 am: How are A/A* grades achieved?
- Feedback: looking back at the summer exams: What went well? What did examiners look for at the top levels?
- Missing out on the A/A* grades: Common mistakes and key issues
- Working through A/A* responses and those that are not A/A*
- Candidate style answers and commentaries with a focus on developing high quality responses
- Curriculum and teaching and learning adaptations in response to the lessons learnt to improve A-A* attainment
11.15 – 11.30am: Discussion: coffee break
11.30 a.m. – 12.15 p.m – Developing A/A* AO2 application skills
- What does an A* AO2 response look like in paper 1, paper and paper 3?
- Strategies to improve AO2 application skills for topic areas
- Helping learners to interpret the questions and produce concise answers
12.15 – 1.00 pm: Developing A/A* AO3 evaluation skills
- What does evaluation in an A* response look like in paper 1, 2 and 3?
- Strategies and resources to develop AO3 evaluation as a skill in short and extended answers
- Comparing evaluation points between topics
- Active learning strategies to encourage A/A* Evaluation
1.00 – 1.45pm Lunch
1.45- 2.30 pm – Developing A/A* responses in the EAPI
- Developing synopticity between theory topics to maximise EAPI theory links
- Re-thinking assessment to develop the verbal literacy required for A/A* EAPI responses
2.30– 3.15 pm: Exploring and solving the big challenges for A/A* Physical Education students
- Outlining key myths linked to the synoptic questions
- Differentiating for A/A* students in a mixed ability psychology class
- Maintaining motivation and engagement
- The use of Alumni to inspire A/A* study skills
3.15 – 3.30 p.m. Plenary discussion and depart
Wes has been teaching and achieving consistently outstanding outcomes in A level PE for 13 years. Such has been the success of these outcomes, he was nominated and shortlisted for the Times Educational Supplement (TES) UK Teacher of the Year award 2017/2018. He is currently Head of Sport and a teaching and learning coordinator at Worcester Sixth Form College where A level PE was graded as an ALPS 2 in 2018/19. He delivers CPD and revision sessions in his own college, local authority and at institutions around the country. He is an enthusiastic presenter who places a big emphasis on memory strategies and active learning. He is currently also working as an examiner for a major awarding body.