Online | Tuesday 20th April 2021
Online | Monday 21st June 2021
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Practical work has become increasing significant and challenging for both teachers and students since the recent change in curriculum. The endorsed practical programme has been a challenge for teachers and schools, but the students also report that the practical-based questions on the final exam are very challenging. This webinar deals with the latter issue.
BENEFITS OF THIS WEBINAR
- Identifying the key difficulties that students have with the practical-based questions
- Developing effective ways of using practical work to develop skills to answer the practical-based questions
- Developing a practical learning methodology that develops sustainable skills in students
4.00 – 4.05 pm Why do students find the practical questions so difficult?
4.05-4.35 pm: What are the key difficulties?
- Activity: What do your students struggle with on the practical questions?
- Planning experiments
- Evaluating results
4.35-5.00 pm: Effective use of practical work to develop skills
- Activity: how do you run practical sessions?
- Suggested schema for running practical sessions to maximise development of the key skills and minimise wasted time
- Separating the key skills and addressing each one effectively
5.00-5.15 pm: How to develop exam technique for practical questions
- Overview of typical exam questions and mark schemes
- Suggested strategy for students to prepare for and tackle these types of question
5.15-5.30 pm: Q&A
Tony Dunn has taught for over 30 years in secondary schools and sixth form colleges, mainly in inner city areas, specialising in A-level Physics. He was Head of Science for 12 years and spent several years training Physics teachers in SE Asia. He has been an examiner for OCR A-level Physics for the past five years and developed CPD courses, webinars and student conferences for Keynote for over a year.