ABOUT THIS COURSE
This refreshed course is designed for all teachers of Edexcel Psychology who are teaching the new 2017 specification.
It will outline the most up to date guidance in how to teach the second year of the new GCSE. We will look at how delegates have approached teaching the new specification in their classrooms and will go through the best ways to deliver the new content. The course will address the main changes and how we will need to adapt current teaching and assessment practices to ensure all students succeed in the new speciﬁcation.
The sessions will give you the opportunity to take away concrete proven strategies, so you can return to your classrooms with the ideas, skills and conﬁdence to prepare for teaching the new specification.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Develop proven approaches to outstanding teaching in the new GCSE
- Understand the new role of the assessment objectives in essays and how to prepare students for tackling them
- Understand and interpret the new mark schemes and how these can be implemented in your teaching
- Learn how to adapt your teaching for student success
|COURSE DATE||London Monday 8 July 2019|
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 10.15am
Teaching the new GCSE Psychology Specification
- Review of teaching and learning across the GCSE so far
- What depth to teach the key studies in each topic?
10.15 – 11.15am
Planning and best preparation for Paper one
- Effective methods of delivery for the compulsory topics of how we develop, memory, brain and neuropsychology, social influence and psychological problems
- How to use the SAMS materials as exemplars for assessing students
- Explore exemplar assessment and strategies for answering the extended essay questions
11.15 – 11.30am
Discussion: coffee break
11.30 – 1.00pm
Planning and best preparation for Paper two (Options)
- Effective strategies for criminal, self, perception, sleep and language options
- How to prepare students to answer the 9 mark essay type questions
- Understanding the new level based mark schemes
1.00 – 2.00pm
Lunch and informal discussion
2.00 – 3.00pm
Addressing topic 11: Research Methods
- How to maximise marks using research methods
- How to carry out effective practicals to help support understanding of research methods
3.00 – 3.15pm
Discussion: afternoon tea
3.15 – 3.45pm
Understanding Issues and Debates
- How best to get learners to understand issues and debates
- Effective techniques for application type questions within issues and debates
Ali is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors (FCIEA) and has recently had his textbook published by Hodder. He was a Principal Examiner with 13 years experience in writing Psychology exam papers and awarding grades for a major exam board. Ali is a regular speaker at Educational Conferences and has been providing INSET to schools and colleges nationally since 2003.