DATE: Monday 05 October 2020 – 4pm
Session 2: Paving the way for GCSE success
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
This fully interactive webinar is intended to provide teachers with practical strategies backed up by research and many years spent in the classroom as Advanced Skills Teacher and Head of Department. It is suitable for anyone just starting to teach or in the first years of teaching GCSE Spanish as well as those wanting to keep up-do-date with all the recent developments in the area of teaching examination classes.
In this session we will
- consider how assessment (both summative and formative) can be used to support progress.
- look at online learning activities available to support independent learning at GCSE
- cover metacognition and self-regulation to support independent behaviours
- reflect on how our knowledge of well-being can be useful when supporting GCSE pupils during a pandemic.
This course can be purchased as a series of 2 with the other webinar for £200, or as a standalone of £110.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- To provide teachers of GCSE Spanish with ideas and confidence to teach Spanish GCSE curriculum.
- To give teachers ideas of effective transition activities.
- To develop pupil’s skills in the four key areas of the language.
- To take away practical tips for ongoing assessment throughout the examination course.
- To create a stimulating and well-being focused classroom environment online and at school that encourages achievement.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- NQTs in Spanish.
- Teachers aiming to teach GCSE Spanish in the future or who have just started teaching for the first time.
- Teachers who want to enhance their confidence in teaching GCSE Spanish
16.00 Welcome and Recap
16:10 – 16:30 summative and formative assessments.
We will look at how to use summative and formative assessments effectively during the two-year course.
16:30 – 16:50 online learning to support four skills.
We will examine what online resources can be used effectively to support GCSE learning.
16:50 – 17:10 metacognition and self-regulation in pupils.
We will focus on how to nurture and promote independent behaviours to boost GCSE grades.
17:10-17:30 creating a well-being focused classroom environment.
We will discuss strategies to support our COVID-19 GCSE cohort during uncertain pandemic times.
Maria O’Neill spent 20 years of teaching Modern Foreign Languages abroad and in the UK. During her career she led Spanish and MFL Departments both in state and independent schools teaching pupils of various ages and abilities. For her commitment to excellence in teaching and learning and outstanding results, she was awarded the status of Advanced Skills teacher which allowed her to make further difference to MFL learners in the LEA through working with Heads of schools, delivering teacher training and contributing to sustainable and innovative MFL curriculum which she presented during DfE learning visits. She is now in the final year of studying for a PhD, teaching and sharing her knowledge and experience via training sessions.