ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course is designed for teachers who have successfully completed their Early Career Teacher phase and are ready to accept new challenges in their career and for those who have responsibility for CPD and Early Career training in schools. The course will explore the “next step” options for such recently qualified teachers, looking at the roles available to them in schools and in education generally
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Develop an understanding of how to make progress in the world of education: looking for appropriate career opportunities and finding enabling mentors who can guide and challenge
- Explore the opportunities available to successful Early Career Teachers in academic and student support roles
- Those with mentoring responsibilities will enhance their understanding of mentoring high quality staff through appropriate support, guidance and challenge
- Take away useful strategies for retaining your best staff so that your initial training investment pays long term dividends
London | Thursday 17 February 2022
London | Friday 1 July 2022
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an in-school course|
10.00 – 11:15am: What’s Next for Me?
- Auditing your strengths and successes from your Early Career years?
- What Went Well? What would you like to do more of? What else appeals to you?
- What roles and opportunities are available to you?
- What qualities will you bring to that new role?
11-15 – 11.30am: Break
11.30 – 12.30pm: Identifying Roles and Opportunities
- How does your current skill set match the roles and opportunities on offer in your school?
- Professional conversations: letting people know you’re ready for the next challenge
- Working with/selecting an appropriate mentor to challenge and guide you
- The role and place of mentoring in career development: support, challenge and advocacy
12.30 – 1.30pm: Lunch
1.30 – 3:15pm: Effective Mentoring
- Anticipating and identifying emerging needs in the school
- Providing training opportunities too enable current staff to meet those needs
- Exploring how to retain our best staff
- Examining what the mentor and mentee want from each other…and how to ensure they get it
- Maximising the Mentor-Mentee relationship for Win-Win scenarios
- Reflection and target-setting for planned career development and sustained self-improvement
2.15 – 2:25pm: Afternoon Break
2:25 – 3.45pm: Preparing for that New Role
- What further training, continued support will you need?
- Would a Master’s degree help? Embarking on further study.
- Identifying areas of academic interest and aligning these with your personal career progression
- Looking After Me: Balancing school and working life with academic study and maintaining your well-being