ABOUT THIS CONFERENCE
This NEW conference, designed for students studying any of the 3 exam boards (AQA, Pearson Edexcel or Eduqas), aims to inspire, extend and consolidate students’ learning in A level French. With practical activities, interactive sessions and supported writing opportunities, we will develop students’ confidence in navigating the wide demands of the A level specification. The day is specially designed by current senior examiners, who will give expert advice, guidance, examples, focusing on the key points to maximise students’ exam achievements in summer 2020.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Expert guidance from examiners on improving performance in all of the exam papers
- Gain top level advice and guidance on how to access the higher grades in examinations
- Enhance your understanding of key areas of French, all linked directly to the exam papers
- Interactive sessions, examples, the specification brought to life in engaging sessions
- Take away a new set of notes which give good revision advice and demonstrates the levels required for success
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Conference|
*Venue subject to change dependent on student numbers
Welcome and Introductions
Getting the best results from the speaking examination
- Knowledge and understanding when dealing with the cards
- Coping with deep questioning
- Making the right choice of IRP
- Improving cultural awareness
11.50 – 12.50pm
Literature and Film- maximising performance
- The importance of analysis, content and linguistic accuracy
- Improving responses to literature and film, looking at a sample essay on La Haine
- Developing grammatical accuracy and linguistic control
- Focusing on style, technique and artistic purpose
1:30 – 2.00pm
- Discovering which translation skills are required
- Focusing on precision
- Avoiding pitfalls
- The importance of practice
2.00 – 3.00pm
Building excellent reading and listening skills
- Coping with cognitive operations and recognising difficult words, such as being aware of apostrophes in French
- Dealing with different question types and distractors
- Getting to know how best to respond to stimuli
- Board-specific strategic approaches to summary tasks
3:00 – 3:20 pm
Ask the experts
- An opportunity to ask questions, get tips and raise any outstanding issues
Tim is an experienced education professional who held the role of Deputy Head of a London School for a number of years until recently. He is currently working as a consultant and trainer providing professional development in teaching and learning for Modern Languages as well as leadership and management, coaching and mentoring, and revision skills workshops to students. Tim has significant experience as a senior examiner and as an Ofqual consultant for A Level, and is co-authoring the new Hodder IGCSE Spanish textbook.
Stuart is a renowned expert in GCSE and A Level French. He has been chief examiner for igcse French for 5 years, Principal moderator for GCSE French at AQA for 12 years, reviser, presenter, principal examiner for GCSE writing and lead examiner for fcse French. He has also examined at A Level for many years for the same awarding body.
He has written The Pearson Revise books and practice papers for AQA and Edexcel GCSE (new and old spec) as well as the OUP French text book for the new GCSE for AQA and have written the assessment materials for Studio French GCSE for Edexcel and AQA editions of the textbook as well as materials for online testing.
Stuart is currently teaching Years 12 and 13 part-time at an academy in Gloucester, after having been head of MFL in two secondary schools.