ABOUT THIS COURSE
This BRAND-NEW course is designed for all teachers of AQA GCSE Psychology who are teaching the new specification and are looking for ways to ensure their top students achieve the new top grades 7-9.
The sessions will give you the opportunity to take away concrete ideas, so you can return to your classrooms with the ideas, skills and conﬁdence to fully prepare your high achieving students to get these new top grades.
The day will provide guidance in incorporating stretch and challenge activities for potential top grade students within mixed ability classes, independent tasks and preparation for the new examinations.
We will also look at how delegates are preparing their high achievers to reach their potential and share proven strategies from previous A* candidates that can be transferred to the new specification.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
By the end of the course delegates will have:
- Increased their understanding of strategies to boost exam performance towards achieving grades 7-9
- Understood how to support their students construct and develop a sustained line of reasoning essential for grades 7-9 on the new specification
- Practical ideas to ensure coherent, relevant and logically structured answers for essay questions
- Enhanced strategies to help their students balance knowledge, skills and understanding across both papers to achieve grades 7-9
|COURSE DATES||London Thursday 28 March 2019
London Tuesday 9 July 2019
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10.00 – 11.15am
Getting ready for the first set of new GCSE exams
- Understanding what is required to achieve grades 7-9
- Learning from previous A* candidates in order to prepare your current high ability students
- How to Demonstrate, Apply and Analyse effectively to get the top 7-9 grades
- How to develop critical thinking skills, making judgements and reaching conclusions
- Synoptic assessment to enable students to show their ability in combining their skills, knowledge and understanding with breadth and depth of the subject
- How to get your top end students to meet the requirements of the top level fully
11.15 – 11.30am
Discussion: coffee break
11.30 – 12.30pm
Get your top students to achieve top marks on Paper One
- Breaking down the exam question to see what’s required
- Scoring full marks on the short mark questions
- Stimulus response scenarios and how to tackle them
- Getting your top students to hit the top band every time in the 9 markers
12.30 – 1.30pm
Lunch and informal discussion
1.30 – 2.30pm
Get your top students to achieve top marks on Paper Two
- How to score high marks on the trickier topic’s language, brain and neuropsychology
- Scoring full marks on the mathematical questions – get each decimal point right!
- Getting the critical balance between A01; A02 and A03 assessment objectives to ensure the top mark
2.30 – 3.00pm
Research Methods – where your top students will excel
- How to maximise marks using research methods
- Enhancing problem solving skills to help analyse and interpret scientific ideas and evidence
- How to carry out effective practicals to help support understanding of research methods
3.00 – 3.15pm
Discussion: afternoon tea
3.15 – 3.45pm
Top marks for your top students
- How to ensure your top students make judgements and draw conclusions
- How to write about appropriateness and effectiveness in the way examiners want!
Ali is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors (FCIEA) and has recently had his textbook published by Hodder. He was a Principal Examiner with 13 years experience in writing Psychology exam papers and awarding grades for a major exam board. Ali is a regular speaker at Educational Conferences and has been providing INSET to schools and colleges nationally since 2003.