ABOUT THIS COURSE
The leadership and management of Biology department is a challenging yet extremely rewarding role. This course will dissect the key areas currently under the scrutiny of Ofsted, such as effective leadership, strategies to improve and enhance performance and achievement levels of students. The use effective communication, with both the biology teaching staff and the senior leadership team. This course will be extremely useful for aspiring Heads of Biology as well as heads who are looking for effective strategies and real workable approaches to drive their departments from ‘good’ to ‘outstanding’ under excellent leadership.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Explore strategies on the skills of an excellent team leader
- Take away strategies for developing your curriculum
- Gain approaches and strategies on how to tackle tricky situations with members of the Biology team
- Find out ideas and approaches on how to build your departmental vision
- Develop effective ideas for embedding high level of teaching within biology department.
|COURSE DATES||London | Friday 15 November 2019
London | Friday 6 March 2020
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
Registration and welcome
10.15 – 11.15am
Leading the Biology Department – knowing and tackling the big issues
- Exploring ways to lead and manage a biology department in the current educational climate.
- What does the new Ofsted framework suggest about outstanding biology learning and teaching?
- Developing a rich curriculum in Biology: what does this mean and how do we do it?
- Self-evaluation – how close are you to Ofsted’s vision of a rich curriculum which creates progress from KS3 to KS5?
- Working with senior leadership to promote understanding of effective biology provision
11.15 – 11.30am
Discussion: coffee break
11.30 – 12.45pm
Developing an outstanding biology department and tackling any underperformance
- Skills required to makes an outstanding Head of Biology
- Tackling underperformance in both students and staff.
- Difficult conversations and how to tackle them effectively for positive outcomes
- How to evaluate teaching, how to make the experience positive, and lead to improved teaching and learning
- Identifying strengths, weakness in teaching and motivating the team
- Sharing good practice, encouraging innovation and risk taking
12.45 – 1.45pm
Lunch and informal discussion
1.45 – 2.45pm
Managing and Developing your Department Effectively
- Establishing your department vision and ethos of strong teaching and learning and achievement
- How to communicate this vision
- Managing your budget to its greatest effect
- How to get what you want in your department provision
- Building and promoting the biology department
- Maximising attainment and improving results through curriculum planning
2.45 – 3.00
Discussion: afternoon tea
3.00 – 3.45pm
Leading learning: how to embed a consistent high level of teaching and learning across the whole department
- Strategies to keep examination results high
- What does outstanding T&L look like and how can you support your staff to move in that direction?
- Motivating and improving attitudes to learning
- Monitoring learners’ progress
3.45 – Further questions and plenary