The focus of this in-school is to support students in securing Grades 4 and 5 in their GCSE Mathematics examination. Students will develop the skills required for problem solving approaches; enabling them to access problems; have the skills to meet the challenges of answering Grade 4 and 5 questions and be able to present their solutions to examiners clearly.
This course is designed for delivery in school and can be booked for a suitable date for your school, as such the timings are only a guideline and can be modified to fit your school day. The course leader will liaise in advance with the subject lead to ensure the content of the workshops matches up with experiences and strategies already employed in school.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING?
- A fast-paced day to keep students engaged and motivated: take away the most crucial strategies for exam success
- Develop high quality examination technique, understanding and confidence
- Gain first-hand guidance and advice from a subject expert, unpicking and addressing how to ensure students achieve at least their target grades
- Have the opportunity to ask questions directly to the subject expert
- Take away conference notes with revision guidance that really works
- Can be tailored into a split day with a grade 6-9 workshop
10.00 – 10.10am: Introduction and Welcome
10.10 – 11.00am: Ways to ensure Grades 4 and 5
- Explore high quality revision tactics with our examiner and look at what worked in previous years’ exam answers
- Obtain expert guidance on how to be awarded maximum marks for working out and answers.
- Gain knowledge of how to develop answers to pick up crucial marks
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: using examples of student answers, this is a hands-on practical marking activity with the students becoming the examiner
11.00 – 11.20am: Morning Break
11.20 – 12.20pm: Methods and Applications for AO1 Fluency – how to maximise the final grade
- Discover what the examiners are looking for and what not to do
- Work on the vital techniques for hitting the 50% content in each assessment
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: Questions focusing on achieving Grades 4 and 5 – with example responses and challenging student activities.
- Decide which is Bad, Better and which is the Best and see how to improve responses
- Quick fire strategies to overcome common misconceptions
12.20 – 12.50pm: Lunch
12.50 – 13.50pm: Q&A followed by Methods and Applications for AO2 Student Reasoning, Understanding and Inference
- Excellent examiner guidance on developing reasoning and an algebraic approach to coherent solutions – “Someone has to read your working!”
- Mop up functionality marks and improve student inference skills
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: Workbook challenge – strategies to tackle more complex problems using example responses
1350 – 14.50pm: Methods and Applications for AO3 Problem Solving
- Remembering key information and tackling problem solving questions
- STUDENT ACTIVITY: Examples of the common misconceptions and errors that students make – and how to avoid these!
- Maximising marks in AO2 and AO3 questions: top examiner tips
14.50 – 15.00pm: Final Top Tips with the subject expert
- “Getting ready to achieve your Best Grade” – what students now need to do after today!