ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course has been designed to help maximise the performance of all students in the Pearson Edexcel GCSE PE exams. It will address all parts of the exam and will help with the best approaches to teaching the specification and performing in the examinations. The course will draw upon David’s experience as a teacher, an examiner and a moderator in order to identify the potential pitfalls, and focus on exactly what is required to excel in Pearson GCSE PE.
The overall thrust of the course is to ensure that teachers are best able to equip their students for the 2021 examination
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Deepen your understanding of the key demands of the exam
- Develop a range of approaches to tackling more demanding sections of the specification
- Explore a range of approaches for ensuring good level of understanding of theory topics, along with effective examination techniques
- Embed templates to support students in writing high quality extended answers to the 9 mark questions
- Understand how to translate the grading criteria into top practical marks
- Support students to write a PEP which can access the higher marks
- Leave with increased confidence for supporting all students, including those aiming to attain grades 7-9
|COURSE DATE||Online | Wednesday 13 January 2021
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
The key demands of the exams
- Where are we currently successful, and what are the key areas for improvement? How to instil good learning behaviours in our students – develop ‘thinking performers’
- Feedback and grade analysis of the 2018 & 2019 papers
- What marks out a top GCSE PE student?
Approaches to tackling the more demanding sections of the theory work.
- Practical strategies and key approaches to support students in the key challenge areas
- What marks out a top GCSE PE student? Which questions differentiate the most?
- Developing a range of approaches to tackle more demanding topics.
- Supporting students to understand how body systems work together.
Achieving Well in Component 2
- Explore a range of approaches for ensuring good level learning for Component 2.
- How to tackle the more demanding questions in Sports Psychology.
- Focus on Socio-Cultural topics by means of actual student responses.
- How to progress to grade 7-9 standard
Writing high quality responses to extended questions
- What is the examiner expecting to see in high quality extended questions responses and how can we build that in our teaching?
- How to support students by embedding a flexible writing framework which matches the assessment objectives.
- Examine typical extended questions through actual student responses.
Translating the grading criteria into top practical marks
- Sharing criteria with students to encourage target setting.
- Putting strategies in place which best support students on the Moderation day.
Supporting students to write the PEP which can access the higher marks
David is an experienced examiner and moderator and has delivered a wide range of training at conferences and CPD events. With over twenty years’ experience of teaching and examining GCE and GCSE PE, he combines a range of teaching and learning strategies with real insight into the key skills needed for examination success