ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course has been designed to provide Heads of Sixth Form with the tools and ideas to successfully create and nourish an Outstanding Sixth Form. Academic success is a must for an Outstanding Sixth Form however there are a plethora of other factors involved; from curriculum design to managing tutors, raising aspirations to retention and recruitment strategies. This course will provide insights and ideas on what can be done to achieve and maintain an outstanding Sixth Form in 2021/22.
This course can also be brought into your school, and tailored accordingly, if required.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Explore the factors that make an Outstanding Sixth Form.
- Gain an appreciation for the extra factors that need to be considered.
- Increased confidence for how to implement strategies which lead to outstanding.
- Develop practical ideas that can be used in your Sixth Form
|COURSE DATES||Online | Thursday 01 July 2021
London | Friday 08 October 2021
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an in-school course|
10.00 – 11.00am
New to Sixth Form – how to hit the Ground Running
- The key challenges currently facing sixth forms and approaches to dealing with them.
- Quality improvements – setting, monitoring and meeting performance targets though quality improvement – defining the benefits of the various Cultures of Learning.
- Student Wellbeing – A pre-emptive approach.
- Preparing for Assessments using the Neuro-science of Learning.
11.00 – 11.15pm
Discussion: coffee break
11.15 – 12.15pm
Expanding Whole-Form Enrichment
- What can be done by the head of sixth form to address the disadvantage attainment gap – practical strategies and approaches?
- The need and value of Super-curricular activities.
- Integrated use of external support to increase engagement.
- Student leadership and why this could be most important component of outstanding
12.15 – 1.00pm
Role of the tutor
- Ensuring clear expectations – aspirational yet achievable.
- How to spearhead strategy and lead change through uncertainty.
- Understanding Impact of Emotional Intelligence and how to use it.
- Managing difficult conversations with staff – inevitable but doable.
1.00 – 2.00pm
Lunch and informal discussion
2.00 – 2.45pm
Retention and Recruitment
- Strategies for retention – how to best engage with the younger cohorts.
- The Contemporary student ambassador – an exercise in role modelling.
- Recruitment- how to get your Sixth Form noticed as THE place to work.
2.45 – 3.30pm
The Future of Sixth Forms
- Understanding the Impact of Covid 19 and preparing for missed learning.
- Digital successes and pitfalls – when to embed technology and when not to.
- Curriculum for the future – what remains and what evolves.
- Post Qualification Applications and what to be thinking about now.
3.30 – 4.00pm
Q&A – Revisiting Outstanding
is currently Director of Sixth Form at Queen Anne’s School, Caversham which achieved their best ever A-level results in 2019 (excluding the CAGs in 2020). Previously Ben led a required improvement Sixth Form to an Ofsted Good where it was highlighted “The recently appointed, effective leader of the sixth form is improving provision and standards for all students”. Ben is also a Trustee of an Academy with an Outstanding Sixth Form provision. He has previously presented at the Keynote Heads of Sixth Form Conference on how to effectively teach revision. He co-edited the Brain Can Do Revision Handbook and his team’s research into the impact of audio feedback on Sixth Form students was published in The Chartered College of Teaching Impact Journal