ABOUT THIS COURSE
This course will give you the tools to support your students in optimise and achieve excellence. In completing this the course delegates will identity A* from A grade pieces of work, pinpoint the fundamental knowledge needed for A*, formulate the most efficient use of the assessment criteria’s and revision platforms.
Focus will be on demonstrating how to guide your best students to achieve grades A/A* in future Pearson/Edexcel A Level Economics examinations. The course will include teaching and learning ideas for all three papers which will stretch and challenge able students and develop their higher level skills. Using feedback from the most recent exams, the course will outline what is expected of high ability students and explore ways to build you teaching practice around this.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING:
- Identify the difference between an A* and A student, and how to prepare students effectively
- A detailed look at the different demands of questions across the papers
- Mark schemes analysed t identify and clarify the requirements at the highest levels
- Sample answers at Grades A and A* will be discussed and marked
- Advice for revision and exam technique will be given
|COURSE DATES & LOCATION||Online | Thursday 04 November 2021
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND?||
|IN-SCHOOL||You can also book this as an In-School Course|
10:00am – 11:00am: The A/A* grades. How in reality how do they differ from B grades?
- Feedback and grading analysis from the most recent exams and what they require of the best students
- Analysis of the mark scheme – what are examiners looking for?
- Grades A and A* – what are the differences between these two?
- Identifying and discussing A*/A grade students from a given pack
- Practical steps to demonstrate how teachers can increase a student’s grade at the top levels
11:00am – 11:20am: Break
11:20am – 12:40pm: Paper 1 –Markets and Business Behaviour – the key challenges for A/A* learners
- Tackling the key challenges inelasticity, market and government failure, market structures.
- Reviewing A*/A data response answers. Focusing on expert use of data
- Investigating essays, expert use of application, analysis and evaluation to maximise marks.
12:40pm – 1:40pm: Lunch
1:40pm – 2:20pm: Paper 2 – The national and global economy – key strategies for A*/A
- Knowledge gaps which prevent A* achievement in paper 2 such as QE, globalisation, development economics.
- Ways to improve student’s mastery of examples in this paper.
- Expert use of application, analysis and evaluation to maximise marks in this paper.
2:20pm – 3:10pm: Paper 3 Microeconomics and Macroeconomics – including embedding synoptic learning
- Strategies to develop students’ confidence in intertwining macro and micro economics in one evaluative point.
- Discuss, in practical terms how A*/ A responses differ in for this paper.
3:10pm – 3:15pm: short afternoon break
3:15pm – 3:30pm: Preparing for the exam.
- Tips on exam techniques and tactics.
- Revision tips and how to avoiding potential pitfalls that high performance students often make.
Helen Gordon is a senior examiner and lead economics teacher, with over twelve years experience teaching with one of the ‘outstanding’ leading sixth forms in the UK. She has been commissioned to write many resources for business and economics. Helen has experience of supporting a range of teachers inside the economics classroom. She has over 15 years experience in developing teaching and learning strategies and coaching others to improve their pedagogy and student outcomes. For the past decade Helen has worked with a number of Universities supporting student and new teachers in developing their pedagogy and classroom practise. She is friendly and enthusiastic and is keen to share experiences and find solutions.