DATE: Monday 2 December 2019 4pm (1hr)
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Join highly respected and well-known Religious Studies authority Sheila Butler for this new webinar on one of the most challenging areas of A level Religious Studies.
The focus will be on the dialogue section of the Christianity paper. It will be aimed at enabling teachers to open up a range of possible links between the section on free will and Christian responsibility in the Christianity syllabus and the free will and determinism section in the ethics syllabus. A range of examples will be suggested for research.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Gain a clear understanding of the demands of the RS Christianity papers in the specifications.
- Ensure that the study is approached as a worldwide ‘lived’ religion and not a purely Anglocentric one as is found in many textbooks.
- Develop teacher understanding of the religion and avoiding misconceptions and inaccuracies
- Aid in the development of new and stimulating approaches to this study.
Welcome and Preparation for Dialogues questions
Prerequisites for moral responsibility:
- Freedom to choose
- Capacity for choice
Christian determinism and doctrine of predestination
- Basis in beliefs about omnipotence and omniscience of God
Christian challenges to Christian determinism
- Extent to which Christian determinism is compatible with moral responsibility
Challenges to Christian determinism from secular hard determinism
- Theory of universal causation, e.g. Darrow, Honderich
- Psychological behaviourism e.g. Pavlov, Watson and Skinner
- Bio behaviourism, e.g. Brunner, Dunedin research, Hot Sauce experiment
Challenges to Christian and secular determinism
- Compatibilism, e.g. Hume
- Libertarianism, e.g. Kant
- What do you think about the concept of moral responsibility?
- Which of the views on free will and determinism best explains your view on moral responsibility?
Sheila is a noted authority on Religious Studies, having been a senior examiner for several exam boards and a well known speaker at national training events for many years. She has written revision guides for A level and AS level Religious Studies and has taught A level RS for many years, with considerable success.